Author Archives: propsadmin

Szomanski, PWS-10

Producer (type)Szomański, Poland
Propeller No.3655
Production Date1931
Pitch193-20?
Diameter280
EngineLorraine Dietrich LD-12EB 450KM
Country of OriginPoland
Used on


About the propeller. The propeller was produced by Szomanski Fatory. At the moment the propeller was received from Marek Wojenka, the prop was prepared to serve as a mould for glass-laminate copies. Prop was restored, leaving originally numbers, date, producer and the engine type pressed on the hub. Pitch and diameter were already slightly tarnished. As all the inscriptions were already polished, they could not be repainted. The propeller was restored and , repainted and the sheathing placed again. Replica decals of IKAR and TONKILAQUE  VARSOVIE added. Now a part of private collection (2019).

Construction. The propeller lamination consists of 11 plies of ash wood. 1mm thich aluminium sheathing fitted, all covered by Tonkilaque coating.

Aircraft and Engine. The propeller was produced for early models of polish fighter PWS-1). For the moment it is the only known propeller and the piece preserved from this Polish built fighter. The prop was working with Lorraine Dietrich 12eb engine, 450 HP. 

References:

TBiU 157,Tomasz Syga “Fighter Plane PWS 10”,

Mohns, Germany

One of the first German propellers maker. The company was founded in Berlin by Karl Mohn, born 1887. At the age of 24 Karl acquired his pilots’ licence No. 188. The first reference of his propeller making company is dated back to 1915. According to Inter Allied Control Commision only 3800 props were maby by Karl Mohn and his son’s factory. Propeller production was terminated after WW. I.

Reference:
German Propeller Maker Part 3. Bob Gardner.

Chauvière Intégrale, Schreck FBA-17 HE

Producer (type)
Propeller No.38020
Production Date1926
Pitch
Diameter2720 mm
EngineHispano-Suiza 150 HP
Country of OriginFrance
Used onSchreck FBA

About the propeller. The propeller was produced by French Chauvière Intégrale factory. Currently on exposition of Muzeum Morskiego Dywizjonu Lotniczego in Puck, Poland.

Construction. The propeller lamination consists of eight plies (probably ash). Diameter of propeller is 272 cm and the hub thickness is 150 mm. The propeller has metal sheathing on outer part of leading edge. The propeller is covered with black Tonkilaque. On both blades the decals with company’s logo are placed.

Aircraft and Engine. The propeller was intended for eight-cylinder inline V Hispano-Suiza type 8Aa engine 150 hp. The engine having 11,76 L capacity was rated at 150 hp at 2000 rpm. It had 4,7 compression ratio, 120 mm bore and 130 mm stroke. In Poland this engine was powering Shreck FBA-17 HE hydroplane used by Morski Dywizjon Lotniczy (Sea Air Squadron) at Puck. Six aircraft were delivered in Spring 1926. The last of Schrecks (wearing No 4-4 on fuselage) was in active service until 8th of September 1939 when it was destroyed by servicemen after German air raid.

References:

A. Morgała „Samoloty wojskowe w Polsce 1924 – 1939” (Polish military aircraft 1924 -1939)

Szomański, PWS 14 and PWS 16

Producer (type)Szomański, Poland
Propeller No.8628
Production Date1937
Pitch175-152?
Diameter260
EngineWright Whirlwind 5A/B 220 HP
Country of OriginPoland
Used onPWS 16

About the propeller. The propeller was produced by Włodzimierz Szomański’s factory, Warsaw. Privately owned, presented in Museum of Air Force, Dęblin (July 2018). Pitch markings not clear (corrected?).

Construction. The propeller lamination consists of 9 ash plies. The outboard leading edge of each blade has an aluminum sheathing. The propeller was originally covered with fabric and black Tonkilaque coating. Clearly visible is separation line of canvas previously covering propeller blade; glue print left on the part, where the canvas was removed.

Aircraft and Engine. This propeller was installed on PWS 14 and PWS 16 aircraft. Both aircraft were powered by Skoda -Wright Wirlwind J-5A/B radial engine, rated to 220 HP.

References:

Heine, Germany

 

Heine, typically for that period was a cabinet maker before picking up propeller production. Established by Hugo Heine workshop was located several premises in Waidmannslust Berlin. By 1914 the company trade mark “Heine Propellers” was registered. A growing demand of WWI aircraft production resulted in some 36.000(?) propellers produced at that period,making Heine the largest producer of German airscrews. Thanks to the big number relatively many of them survived to contemporary times.

The history of Heine propellers were continued during the mid war times. Many of german and not only german aircraft were bearing Heine propellers. Heine contributed also to the WWII effort.

Heine in Poland Polsce. Obviously, Heine propellers were used in Poland after regaining independance in 1918; That concerned some propellers installed on captured aircraft, damaged, and stored in warehouses (like it was in Poznań – Ławica).

Mid war Times saw  Heine propellers also installed on some Polish new – designed aircraft, ordered directly at manufacturer. That was untill the German – Polish political tension stopped the deals.

After WWII the history re-occured, and german capured aircraft, like HE 72 Kadett cor FW 44 Stiegliz, were fitted again with captured German propellers including Heine, some of proppeelers were fouund as used or  spare parts.